Kevin Jennings, director of platform marketing at Orange, teams up with author and speaker, Jon Acuff, and host, Carlos Whittaker, to talk about what life is like as a new dad in today’s episode.
- Don’t rush childhood. You only have a limited amount of time when your child is this age. You can fast forward through this season, but you can’t rewind it.
- Slow down and enjoy moments together as a family free of technology. Start adding a new habit of putting your electronics away during family time.
- Embrace your ignorance and keep yourself open to wisdom from other parents.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
One moment, Kevin Jennings is having gelato with his very-pregnant wife, Leah, and their friends, and within 24 hours, they have a newborn. From sleeping through the night to waking up every two hours for feedings, broken sleep patterns are just a few things new parents face.
In this episode, Jon, a father of two, and Carlos, a father of three, discuss with Kevin what those early years were like as parents, and also talk about:
- What the biggest surprise has been as a new dad.
- What’s different about being a new dad these days versus in years past.
- How the comparison trap is so important to avoid.
- Why slowing down with your family is one of the best things you can do.
- How, when balanced, technology can be great for connecting families who live apart from each other.
- What it’s like, in particular, to be a father of a girl.
- Why it’s OK to embrace that your child might not be perfect at everything.
QUOTES IN THIS EPISODE
VOICES IN THIS EPISODE
Kevin Jennings is a strategist who loves the energy it takes to get a project off the ground and into the air. He’s passionate about helping entrepreneurs, artists, and executives turn their vision into value and convert their passion into profits. He is currently the Director of Platform Marketing at The reThink Group (aka, Orange).
During the past nine years, Kevin has had the pleasure of serving influential individuals, such as Tony Robbins, Dave Ramsey, and Oprah Winfrey. Whether he’s working with best-selling authors or Inc. 5000 organizations, Kevin’s mission is to help people maximize the potential of their ideas, their careers, and their positive impact on others. When he’s not helping businesses grow, Kevin can be found deejaying weddings and parties on the weekends.
He’s been married to his amazing wife and childhood friend, Leah, since 2011, and they recently welcomed a baby girl, Arden, into their lives in early 2016.
Carlos is an author, speaker, and content creator living in Nashville, TN with his wife Heather and 3 kids Sohaila, Seanna, and Losiah. He is addicted to social media, his wife’s enchiladas, and is determined to have his daughters teach him to land a backflip on the trampoline by the time he is 45.
Jon Acuff is the New York Times Bestselling author of six books, including Finish, Give Yourself the Gift of Done. He lives in Franklin, TN with his wife and two daughters.