Frank Bealer, executive director of leadership development at Orange, joins Carlos Whittaker and Jon Acuff to talk about parenting teenagers, parenting an adopted child, and other topics on today’s dad edition of the Parent Cue Live podcast.
- Be a learner of your child. When it comes to encouraging your kid to do something they love, study them and ask them questions along the way—like whether they’re still enjoying themselves.. Be careful not to put them into the box you think they should be in—just when you’re starting to know your child, they often change. Be flexible.
- Push through the discomfort. Sometimes, kids can be really honest about their thoughts on topics such as the opposite sex, and a lot of the time it can be uncomfortable for the parent. Try to hear them with an open mind and know they’re processing in real time according to their maturity level. Try not to be judgemental, and be grateful they feel open to let you in.
- Save teachable moments for the appropriate time. As parents, it’s difficult to not turn every moment into a teachable moment for our kids. Remember, there is a time and place for everything, and sometimes, there’s a time and place to just have fun. Focus on building your relationship—the opportunity to teach your child those important life lessons will come.
Have you ever wondered how you’d handle your teenage son’s complete honesty about their thoughts on girls? Or what about when you want to encourage your kids to do something they enjoy at the moment without pressuring them to stick with it long after their interest in it has faded?
In today’s episode, we hear from Frank Bealer, a dad of four kids, whose ages range from 10 to 15, who is still very much in the trenches of understanding the ins and outs of parenthood. He’s joined with Carlos Whittaker, a dad of three, and Jon Acuff, a dad of two, and together they discuss:
- What it’s like to adopt an older child and how it impacts the family dynamic
- How to encourage your kids to do an activity they love without being too pushy
- How to coach your kids through a shift in their environment and the social pressures that come along with it
- How to be mindful of not favoring the dominant child
- How to have uncomfortable conversations with your teenager
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
QUOTES IN THIS EPISODE
VOICES IN THIS EPISODE
Frank Bealer is the executive director of leadership development at Orange.
Carlos is an author, speaker, and content creator living in Nashville, TN with his wife Heather and 3 kids Sohaila, Seanna, and Losiah. He is addicted to social media, his wife’s enchiladas, and is determined to have his daughters teach him to land a backflip on the trampoline by the time he is 45.
Best selling author of Finish: Give Yourself the Gift of Done
Did you enjoy this episode? Help us spread the word!
Hopefully, this episode has helped you find a few practical ways to “do family better.” If you appreciated it, we would love for you to rate or review the podcast on Apple Podcasts. Your rating and review help get the podcast in front of new parents and listeners. You can also click the buttons below to share this episode on your own social media channels. Thank you for listening!