Kevin Jennings, director of platform marketing at Orange, teams up with author and speaker, Jon Acuff, and host, Carlos Whittaker, to talk about what life is like as a new dad in today’s episode.
- Don’t rush childhood. You only have a limited amount of time when your child is this age. You can fast forward through this season, but you can’t rewind it.
- Slow down and enjoy moments together as a family free of technology. Start adding a new habit of putting your electronics away during family time.
- Embrace your ignorance and keep yourself open to wisdom from other parents.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
One moment, Kevin Jennings is having gelato with his very-pregnant wife, Leah, and their friends, and within 24 hours, they have a newborn. From sleeping through the night to waking up every two hours for feedings, broken sleep patterns are just a few things new parents face.
In this episode, Jon, a father of two, and Carlos, a father of three, discuss with Kevin what those early years were like as parents, and also talk about:
- What the biggest surprise has been as a new dad.
- What’s different about being a new dad these days versus in years past.
- How the comparison trap is so important to avoid.
- Why slowing down with your family is one of the best things you can do.
- How, when balanced, technology can be great for connecting families who live apart from each other.
- What it’s like, in particular, to be a father of a girl.
- Why it’s OK to embrace that your child might not be perfect at everything.
QUOTES IN THIS EPISODE